The ever dreading flight with a 2 year old came and went pretty quickly. The morning of the 27th when Aron, Kenadie and myself were boarding our first leg of our flight to Michigan, Kenadie walked around the airport telling the whole world she where she was going . It was pretty darn cute as she pulled her little Dora the Explorer suitcase through the terminal "Byee everyone, I'm going to Michigan!" Now... the real torture was about to start. The flight took off and the ears were ok, check! Then it was trying to keep her occupied through the flight so that we didn't get any glares from other passengers, mission accomplished! She did well. Ok, so 1 hour in and it was about nap time...ha, right! No, she didn't nap until the wheels touched the ground...in Chicago! This happened on the flight from Chi to Detroit as well... little stinker!
When we arrived in Detroit we hopped into Uncle Chris's truck with Nana and Grandpa and met up with the cousins: Addie, Elyse, Evie for dinner. Of course Uncle Chris and Auntie Neener were there too, but let's be real, the girls were too much fun for Kenadie to even handle. She loved them!
Mackinaw or BUST!! Now, on this road trip, I don't know who talked more? Gary or Kenadie? It's a tight race but I think Kenadie may have beat him out. She got a kick out of someone being able to keep up with her chatter. Good thing Nana was there to keep both of them under control in the back. I played dumb and worked the radio. Gary will stop talking and start singing to good old classics like Bob Seger or Elton John...Mission Accomplished.
Mackinaw was beautiful, but cold. We took a ferry over to the island with Auntie Cami, Uncle Chris, Auntie Neener, Nana, Grandpa and the gang. When we got there, we rented the Bishop Semi of bicycles. It was Tandem bike with a baby trailer for Kenadie. We needed to get flashers for that thing it was so long. As we rode around the island each member of the family had their strengths and weaknesses. Auntie Cami was a sprinter, Uncle Chris and Grandpa were marathon riders, where the ASK Train (Aron, Sharus, Kenadie) definitely needed to stop. Or maybe it was the fact that I didn't have to pedal, so I made Aron do most of it...he was tired ;) But I have to say, the winner was Addie! She was a super star! I couldn't believe that she biked the whole island without whining or crying about being tired. She was a champion.
Elyse and Kenadie on the ferry to Mackinaw
Addie the Mackinaw Island Champion!
Kenadie riding along with Mickey Mouse
After the bikes we walked around downtown and enjoyed fresh fudge, which was MMmm Mmm good. And of course a few bloody marys with the fam. It was a nice little day. One of my favorites of the day was the cute little butterfly house. Did anyone else know that butterflies eat banana's? Ok, I didn't and thought it was very cool! I always get nervous inside of the butterfly room. I can just hear it now..."CRUUNNCHH!" "Oh crap, that was the Monarch butterfly wasn't it?" Trust me, it crosses my mind about 50 times while we were in there. But all of the butterflies are so pretty and colorful.
Just taking her medicine for her lip
The last few days we were there, we hung out with Johnnie and Mary and their kids, Uncle Justin and Auntie Jen and Syd, Uncle Josh, Aunt Annie and Baby Ava, Cousin Jake, Gage, Tate and Liam and Gibbs. Because Kenadie was spoiled with ice cream and popsicles the whole vacation, she was treated to one last night of pleasure before reality struck. So Uncle Justin, Aunt Jen, Nana, Daddy and I all hopped in the car and headed over to Cooks Dairy Farm for all natural ice cream. It was delicious! We even saw big ol Bessy outside brewin' up a new batch of cream. Kenadie was petting the baby cows and Daddy was getting eaten by them. But that wasn't before Kenadie devoured an ice cream cone which didn't just get in her belly...it was ALL OVER! In her mind, it was worth being sticky all the way home!
Uncle Justin and Kenadie petting baby cows (this one later will like Aron)
Mmmm Utterly Delicious Ice Cream!